About Me

Last Updated on Sunday, 26 June 2011 02:06 Written by Flax Tuesday, 8 June 2010 02:53

Teaching healthy cooking, is a bridge that has happened between the two main aspects of my life: Career and family.

Career-wise, I am a practitioner of holistic medicine.  I have an independent clinic where I practice massage therapy, acu-pressure, and healing.  My clinical work also led me in the direction of nutrition.  Most people would like to eat healthy but they are so confused by fads and “nutritionism” that they no longer know what healthy food means.  In addition many people are now afraid of food.  They are confused by the newest research,  they feel guilty when they eat, and a majority of  people now suffer from either obesity or an eating disorder.  My approach to food and diet is based on the Eastern principles of nutrition.  First and foremost is to appreciate what you eat.  Secondly, to see the food as food and not as science.  Lettuce is lettuce.   While of course lettuce contains certain vitamins and minerals that you might or might not need in order to consume your FDA regulated RDA, it is still lettuce.  Lettuce, as well as every other food, contains its own unique energy.  This energy affects how we act, think, and perform.  The Eastern approach to diet looks at the food, the person, and the environment, and attempts to achieve balance between the three.

My home life is what contributed to the second factor of my professional life.  In addition to my clinical work, I teach cooking classes.  Healthy cooking classes.   I am mother to four wonderful and busy children and wife to an extremely wonderful and high-maintenance husband. My husband, in addition to being a an all-around perfectionist, is also French. This means that food is very important to him. He likes to use only fresh ingredients  An ideal meal should be both delicious and beautifully presented.  He would rather starve then, heaven forbid, eat a snack in the car.  While my husband is an excellent cook, I (by choice) am the one making most of the meals.  Bottom line, I love my husband, so I learned how to cook.

Additionally, my husband taught me to enjoy food. When we first married I would count calories, every six months I would follow the newest fad diet, and I would sneak food into my mouth all day long.  I would have enormous guilt around eating and I almost never sat down to have a real meal. That to me was an anathema.  From my husband I have learned that meals should be scheduled into your day, they should be eaten at a table, not in front of a tv or a computer.  Meals should be both prepared and eaten in a state of relaxation with an understanding that the enjoyment of a meal is not a crime but a gift.

So, when I enter my kitchen and I prepare to cook yet another meal for my starving teenagers, picky young children, and high-maintenance husband, I try to do it with love and enjoyment.  I remember that food and eating has a higher purpose.  That meals do more than just supply our RDA but help to nourish both our bodies and souls. When I cook, not as a chore, but as a way of bonding and healing my family, my whole attitude changes for the better. My mood improves and if I do say so myself, the food actually taste better.

Enjoy the site and may your food always be healthy and delicious.

10 Comments

1. ruth nachshon   |  Thursday, 15 July 2010 at 4:23 pm

Hi Sima
    I am so happy for me and for you that this website is up and running!!
    I just wanted to know if what I write to you is readable by the internet public or if my comments or queries will be received and replied to privately? Do I have that option?
    Anyway, i am missing your classes and wish you the best of luck with this enterprise. If you have forgotten recipe ingredients or quantities from the last two sets of classes you could contact me and see what I have written down!!
    thanks
    Ruth

2. Shira   |  Tuesday, 14 September 2010 at 7:53 pm

I must say that I have loved your classes and have learned so much about nutrition and balance. I am excited that your website is up and running and will be sure to share it with my favorite people. Good luck to you and may it be year of plenty and health, success and happiness. I must say that the greatest thing I have learned foodwise is to just add flax.
    To Life
    shira

3. Ima   |  Monday, 25 October 2010 at 3:18 pm

I love your site–
    and the way love of food and healthy living, love of family and love of life have all been brought together.

4. Leah Urso   |  Monday, 13 December 2010 at 5:12 pm

Your recipe for quinoa corn chowder sounds SO good – I’m going to try it!

5. Pam Lott   |  Tuesday, 15 February 2011 at 10:42 pm

Your husband spoke at our Federation today and he was excellent. He also gave your site a plug so I’m here checking it out. I’ve been wanting to use more flax and your recipes will help. Even though you don’t believe in dieting, my daughter and I are working very slowly to lose weight. So having the nutritional values for the recipes would be helpful.
    I’m also going to have to look for seaweed in Pennsylvania. Not sure what I will find.
    Thanks Pam

6. Flax   |  Wednesday, 16 February 2011 at 10:48 am

Hi Pam,
    Thank you so much for the comment and the feedback on my husband.
    It’s not that I don’t believe in dieting as much as I believe in correct eating habits. Calorie counting is not a way to live. A lifestyle should be based on a revised eating pyramid with vegetables as 50-60% of the diet, grains as 30-40% of the diet and proteins (both animal and legumes) as 10% of the diet. Sweet foods, including fruit, should be 1% of the diet. If you make this a lifestyle change, the weight will come off on it’s own and you will never have to calorie count. The main reason for the rise in obesity is overconsumption of proteins. People that do Atkins generally lose a lot of weight but they gain it all back within two years. This is because eliminating a food group from your diet helps the digestive system to work faster but it is difficult to continue Atkins for more than a few months and when they return to eating carbs they quickly gain back all the weight they lost and they add a little bit more as well.
    I know this idea is probably very different from anything else that you might have heard. I highly recommend the book Healing With Whole Foods, by Paul Pitchford. You are welcome to email me with any questions you might have.

Wishing you lots of luck,

Sima

7. Deena   |  Tuesday, 07 June 2011 at 9:45 am

Hi Sima,

I’m very excited to have chanced upon your blog (I can’t even remember how I found it?) We lived in Asia and found real value in Chinese medicine and diet. We then moved to California, where we’ve been blessed with organic produce and alternative medicine. God Willing Israel will be our new home from this summer onward. I’ve been wondering how easy it would be to find support for my vegan diet and knowledgeable practitioners to help keep us on a healthy path. I look forward to meeting you in one of your workshops or on a consult.

All the best,

Deena

8. Flax   |  Tuesday, 07 June 2011 at 10:54 am

Hi Deena,

Be’sha’ah tovah on your Aliyah. I look forward to meeting you.

Sima

9. shira   |  Sunday, 26 June 2011 at 2:33 pm

Great new page. Love it. I love all you say about the way to eat. I just cannot get into the calorie counting. I try to make wise food choices throughout the day for meals and snacks keeping the proportions you mention in mind. My entire Shabbat table has changed. My husband says that we used to have a brown Shabbat table and now it is so colorful. I have also kept in mind another thing you have taught us. That is that we should eat foods that grow naturally in the environment where we live and to eat foods in season. You said there was reason for this physically and that there were fewer bugs and that taste was better and nutrition better in the those foods found in season. That all makes sense to me. I continue to thank you for all the wonderful information you provide and look forward to participating again in the future, in your nutrition workshops.
    Shira

10. Alima Friar   |  Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 6:32 am

Dear Sima, Thank you for your commitment to your own health and happiness and support of the rest of us. One possible addition might be micro greens. I began growing them a couple of years ago. They add color, texture, nutrition and fun…and in only 7-10 days. If you have an interest, I would be happy to share a simple basic beginning information sheet for you. I know you have a busy schedule…the nice thing is that you can grow them anywhere…you just need indirect light (a window), good air circulation, clean water and soil and organic seeds. I will be putting out a great booklet later this summer, but this will get anyone off to an easy start and is such a great addition to salads, soups, stir fries, wraps. Again, thank you for your wonderful contributions. Alima